Since 1996 the NWT Breast Health/Breast Cancer Action Group has provided leadership and the perspective of survivors in breast cancer initiatives in the NWT. The Action Group works to identify new needs and new opportunities to advance work on breast health and breast cancer issues in the NWT.
The Action Group has developed:
– Resources to help increase breast health awareness, including NWT-specific written materials and audio-visual and visual aids in NWT aboriginal languages,
– Information, services and supports for those diagnosed with breast cancer and to assist their healthcare providers,
– Initiatives directed at supporting breast cancer survivors, including psycho-social programs incorporating healing through art,
– Expanding working relationships with survivors, volunteers and health care providers, and
– An annual (most years) NWT breast cancer survivors retreat.
We have participated in the development of NWT breast health clinical guidelines, the breast screening committee and the NWT breast health advisory committee.
As well as maintaining this website, the Action Group has a Facebook page, and printed materials available for distribution including brochures on breast health, breast cancer, and breast self-examination in Aboriginal languages and English.