The Action Group began as a working group under the Status of Women Council of the NWT in 1996 and became a registered Society in September, 2004. We governed by a volunteer Board of up to 12 Directors, elected at our Annual General Meeting each year.
To date we have developed:
- Resources to help increase breast health awareness, including NWT-specific written materials and audio-visual and visual aids in NWT aboriginal languages.
- Information, services and supports for those diagnosed with breast cancer and to assist their healthcare providers
- Initiatives directed at supporting breast cancer survivors, including psychosocial programs incorporating healing through art and guided conversations
- Expanding working relationships with survivors, volunteers and health care providers
- NWT breast cancer survivors retreats and peer to peer support meetings.
The Action Group has participated in the development of NWT breast health clinical guidelines and was an active member on the breast screening committee and the NWT Breast Health Advisory Committee. As well as, an active member in the development of the NWT Cancer Strategy by the Department of Health and Social Services, released in 2015.
In addition to this website, the Action Group has an active Facebook page that connects NWT people with cancer related organizations, events, information and programs.